Monday, February 6, 2012

Update on my Dad since the fall

Funny how life can get so busy sometimes. I had every intention on updating on how my Dad was doing since the fall, but am just now getting around to it.

In my last post about my him, it was the morning after his fall, just hours after he had returned from the hospital, and he wasn't doing too well. Despite being doped up on four different medications to sedate him, he was trying to get out of bed and only dozing when he could no longer fight the sleep, and wasn't eating, either.

By the next morning, he was doing amazingly better. My step mom called me not long after I had dropped off my daughter at school and was on my way to see him. She said that he had finally settled down and gone to sleep during the night, which is exactly what I had prayed and hoped would happen, and she was able to go home and get some sleep herself. Then when she returned in the morning, she found him standing up beside his bed, buttoning up his shirt, and doing so much better. Then he ate a huge breakfast and drank water, coffee, juice, more coffee, and more juice. Then he went to use the bathroom without any help and did it like someone who never even had Alzheimer's. I was beyond relieved, and couldn't wait to see him.

When I arrived, I found him in the activity room, sitting in a chair. He was very happy to see me. Of course, his walker was nowhere to be found, so I went searching for it and took it to him. Then I realized his walker was loose on one side, and told one of the workers there. I couldn't help but wonder if that had contributed to his fall. I spoke with my step mom about it and, long story short, he has a new one now.

We had a nice visit, and I was so happy to see that he was doing better and seemed unaffected by the fall or the drugs. We even took a short walk outside into the courtyard area and sat out there for awhile.

At this point I'm not sure when my next visit will be. I would like it to be tomorrow, but am coughing and hacking due to a lovely chest cold, so rather than risk giving it to him, I'm going to wait a little longer. Hopefully I'll be able to visit him again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment