Sunday, August 12, 2012

Swollen hands and feet

Today when we went to visit my dad in the nursing home, I noticed that his hands and feet were really swollen. I talked to the nurse on duty (very nice, by the way), and she said they're doing some testing. They think he's having some circulation issues.

We arrived when he was eating dinner and the table was full with other residents, so we waited in the "living room" area. When he was done, he started "walking" while in his wheelchair with his feet, and was getting around pretty good. Except there are no wheels on the sides, so he couldn't steer, so we had to help him with that. He "walked" out of that area and into another area that led to a big hallway and stopped there. There was no-one around there, so I have to wonder if he purposely did that so he could have some time alone with his family. My daughter ran up and down the hallway, and every once in a while, he would look up slightly to look at her, but then put his head back down again.

He seems to have a cold, too, and was hunched over, so I'm guessing he's not feeling too great. He was only slightly responsive to us, and seemed to have trouble making eye contact. After only a few minutes, we looked over at him and suddenly realized he had fallen asleep, so we went and got the nurse, and she came and took him back.

Oh, and the nurse said he had been getting up out of his wheelchair and slowly walking, holding on to the wall railing, and they were following behind him making sure he didn't fall. I'm so thankful that he is still able to walk, even if only for short distances.

Forgive me for the non-interesting, rambling post tonight. It's late and I'm tired, but I wanted to give an update. I appreciate the continued prayers of anyone out there who's been following this. It is only by God's grace that I am able to handle seeing my Dad suffering the way he has been.

No comments:

Post a Comment